Machine Learning/ Artificial Intelligence Software Engineer
Makai is looking for a Machine Learning/ Artificial Intelligence (ML/ AI) Software Engineer with a strong background in ML/ AI algorithm development and utilization. Candidates should have interest and experience in solving real world problems via ML/ AI software development. This candidate will have the opportunity to shape the future of the world’s #1 subsea cable modeling software, as well as take on challenging problems in our subsea technologies group that may include processing of large datasets, machine vision, object identification, classification, and tracking, automation, and more. The chosen candidate will immediately start working on Navy and DARPA projects with ML components.
Candidates should be self-starters with the ability to take a project from inception to usable software prototype or product. The candidates should have strong programming skills to perform in-house development of ML/ AI software algorithms, and be able to use existing ML/ AI algorithm databases.
This is a permanent, full-time position in Waimanalo, Hawaii. Remote work will be considered for this position.
- Develop and apply ML/ AI algorithms for marine systems
- Interface AI/ ML algorithms with in-house, 3rd party, and Government systems
- Write, edit and review Technical Reports and test results in clear, concise language
- Provide input to technical proposals seeking future research and development funding
Minimal applicant requirements include:
- Possession of a technical degree (B.S. or M.S.) in any engineering or related field is required;
- Candidates with an M.S. degree shall have 2 years’ professional experience, and candidates with a B.S. shall have 5 years’ professional experience as a software engineer or data scientist working with ML/AI algorithms;
- Strong computer programming skills in Python, .NET, or C++;
- Ability to learn other computer programming skills;
- Ability to communicate concepts to team members or clients;
- U.S. citizenship is required;
- Willingness and ability to obtain a Department of Defense Security Clearance; persons with clearances that are active or were previously held and currently in good standing are preferred.
Additional desirable qualifications include:
- Experience working on a team project using svn or other code repository systems;
- Experience in reviewing and debugging other developers’ code;
- Good understanding and experience with any cloud services (AWS, Azure);
- Experience with GIS applications is a plus;
- Experience in related fields such as engineering, oceanographic data analysis and signal processing, or computational ocean modeling is a plus.
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
Makai provides engineers with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, numerous company benefits, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere. Watch a video showing Makai’s Oahu offices here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pj_LkZEK-4
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security “E-Verify” Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Hermann Kugeler at Hermann.Kugeler@makai.com:
1. Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
2. Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.