Makai’s submarine cable group is looking for a Candidate with engineering or physics-related background with strong programing skills. Candidates should have strong programming skills to perform in-house development of our subsea cable software, and develop software for Makai’s subsea technologies group. As part of the software development team the candidate is expected to write, upgrade, document and maintain our proprietary code and help with customer support issues. As part of the subsea technologies team the candidate is expected to write code for subsea robotics systems. This is a permanent, full-time position in Waimanalo, Hawaii.
- Maintain and upgrade software including MakaiLay, MakaiPlan, and MakaiPlan Pro;
- Develop software for various Makai programs;;
- Provide customer support for software products;
- Provide software training to Makai software clients;
- Interface software products with in-house, 3rd party, and Government systems;
- Write, edit and review Technical Reports and test results in clear, concise language.
Minimal applicant requirements include:
- Applicants must have a technical background (e.g., at least an undergraduate degree and ideally work experience in Science/Physics/Engineering/Math);
- Possession of U.S. citizenship or a green card is required. U.S. citizens preferred;
- Experience in .NET, C++ or equivalent and willingness to learn new software languages;
- An ability to think clearly to solve technical problems;
- Strong written/oral communication skills;
- Willingness to adapt to a flexible work schedule;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience with the Windows and Linux programming environments with the aptitude and willingness to learn more;
- Willingness to periodically travel domestically and internationally (usually 1-2 weeks);
- Willingness to go out to sea on client vessels (usually 1- 2 weeks).
Additional desirable qualifications include:
- Experience operating MakaiPlan or MakaiLay;
- Experience with any GIS applications is highly desirable;
- Most of Makai’s work is in the ocean or is marine related. Therefore, ocean experience or background is always a plus.
- Experience working on a team project using svn or other code repository systems;
- Experience in reviewing and debugging other developers’ code;
- Good understanding and experience with any cloud services (AWS, Azure);
- Electromechanical or hardware integration experience is a plus;
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
High priority will be given to candidates who are local to Hawaii or have strong connections to the islands.
Makai provides engineers with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, numerous company benefits, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere. Watch a video showing Makai’s Oahu offices here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pj_LkZEK-4
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security “E-Verify” Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Hermann Kugeler at Hermann.Kugeler@makai.com:
1. Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
2. Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.